MSK musculoskeletal community service
The community musculoskeletal service (MSK) aims to provide specialist triage and assessment for MSK referrals in Barnsley. The service aims to provide the best options of care, ensuring patients are seen by the most appropriate healthcare professional, at the appropriate time and in the appropriate place.
This brings together the previous MSK screening, MSK assessment & treatment, and MSK physiotherapy services into one holistic service. This ensures that a patient entering the service has access to all aspects of the management and that appropriate MSK pathways will be followed enabling smooth streamlined care and onward referral following investigations when necessary.
The service provides high quality care and management for adults over the age of 16 who have a spinal, peripheral joint, soft tissue or neuromuscular problem. Children of school age are seen by the childrens therapy services.
Patients referred to the community MSK service will be assessed by extended scope practitioners, physiotherapists or GPs with special interest in MSK problems. They will provide advice and, where required, investigations to help with diagnosis and management planning. Referrals to either secondary care providers or other primary care therapy services can be made directly from this service.
Comments about the physio service offer include:
- this has been a great help and has given me 100% improvement”
- “Friendly patient and professional staff. Very knowledgeable and considerate of my abilities and needs”
- “Excellent service, Kind, considerate, helpful. Thank you for making it better
- ‘I have ridden a bike for the first time in 35 years and it is great, they gave me the confidence to try that and it has really helped me feel better’
- ‘Provided a safety net so that we felt we could try new things safely’
Further treatment by the service may include a variety of techniques such as manual therapy, exercise, self -management techniques, corticosteroid injections, advice, posture correction, electrotherapy, acupuncture, hydrotherapy and groups eg tai chi and core stability.
Advice and guidance is also available via the E-Rs function or by contacting the service directly in urgent circumstances.
Information Sheets for Patients
- Information about the Community Musculoskeletal Service
- Rehabilitation Gym Sessions
- Tai Chi
- Core Stability
- Back to your best
- Escape Pain - enabling Self-management and Coping with Arthritic Pain using Exercise
Accessing the service
- Tel: 01226 644858
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 8am to 8pm
Wednesday 8am to 6pm
Friday 8am to 5pm
- Clinical support group
- Dermatology, MSK and Rheumatology
- Cancer, Palliative Care, Pain and Older People
- Clinical support area
- Service type
- Condition or indicators
- ProviderSouth West Yorkshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- Fax number
- Email address
- Clinical support by body system
- Bypass detail pageNo
- Bypass detail page and
Do you want to add this to your CPD record?
Did you find this page helpful?